Date: 6/17/2008 12:25 pm
Are you having a hard time dealing with every day stress? Try some of
these NEW COPING STRATEGIES to help feel more relaxed and in control.
Most of us have ways we tend to “soothe” or tend to our emotional needs, without even realizing that we are doing it. The ability to self-soothe can be further developed if you consider each of your senses.
with VISION you can
- focus on an item or space that you enjoy
- watch the flames in a fireplace or candles burning
- watch the moon and stars
with HEARING you can
- listen to music (either relaxing or invigorating)
- enjoy the sounds of nature (real or an environmental water )
- call a trusted friend or family member
with SMELL you can
- bake cookies
- use your favorite lotion or perfume
- light a scented candle
with TASTE you can
- enjoy your favorite meal, taking the time to savor each bite
- have a soothing drink, such as hot chocolate or herbal tea
- suck on a piece of hard candy
with TOUCH you can
- take a bubble bath
- wrap yourself in a fleece blanket
- pet your cat or dog
Contact Dr. Irgang now for some immediate relief!
She can be reached at DrIrgang@relationshipsolutionscenter.net
or by calling 847.598.3553.